When preparing a fondant cake, the first thing you have to do is be patient. Are you already trying to remember the phone number for cake delivery? Stick with it, because we will go through the individual preparation steps together. In no time you will have your cake with fondant decoration ready, which is actually the icing on the cake of every festive occasion. Here we go:
Have you already tried making a sophisticated cake yourself for a convivial family celebration? Was that an interesting experience for you? Do you find that kneading and rolling the dough are more time-consuming compared to the rest of the preparation process?
What is special about the preparation of fondant? He needs a good quantity of powdered sugar. This will make the fondant mass look pliable without being sticky. If you’re not sure about the consistency, cut the fondant and test the center. Malleable? It’s good.
Occasionally, small cracks may appear when rolling the fondant. When this happens, fold the corners towards the middle and roll out the fondant mass. This will remove the cracks.
Ultimately, you can achieve a smooth, professional finish with the help of coconut oil.
Since you know the little specifics, read through the necessary ingredients;
For the fondant:
For the cake:
340 grams of all-purpose flour
65 grams of corn or potato starch
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cup unsalted butter
2 cups of sugar
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipped cream, chilled
For the chocolate ganache:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipped cream
For the fondant:
- Mix cocoa powder and powdered sugar together. Put aside.
- Pour marshmallows, chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of water into the bain-marie. Bring the water to a boil. Chocolate chips and marshmallows start to melt together, stir the ingredients well. Let the uniform mass cool down for 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Stir the mixture, if necessary knead until the powdered sugar is completely incorporated. If the fondant still feels crumbly, add an additional ½ tablespoon of water. The roll fondant shouldn’t be sticky, even in the middle. Round the shape of the fondant mass and coat the surface with coconut oil. Wrap the fondant in cling film and put aside.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Spray two springform pans 8 inches in diameter with baking release agent.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and set the mixture aside.
- Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to whip sugar and butter until frothy (approx. 5 minutes).
- Mix the eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Pour into the stirred butter / sugar mixture and mix well. Now add ½ tbsp flour and keep stirring. Add the remaining flour and stir.
- Whip the cream in a separate bowl without the cream stabilizer, if necessary. Stir 1/3 of the cream into the mixture. Mix in the rest of the cream in the same way. Pour the batter into the springform pans with a spoon. Bake for 40-50 minutes, if necessary carry out the toothpick test. Let the cake cool down for about 5 minutes, then remove it from the springform pan and put it in the fridge.
For the ganache:
- Heat the cream and chocolate chips in the bain-marie until they melt. Remove from heat, continue stirring with the hand mixer until cool, accumulate and lighten.
- Cut the protruding parts of the completely cooled cakes smooth with a serrated knife. Place one of the cakes on your serving platter and coat with half of the glaze. Place the second cake on top and repeat the process.
- Roll out a ball of the fondant mixture with a diameter of 35 centimeters. Again spread coconut oil. Roll the fondant onto a wooden roll and carefully unwind over the cake. Now start smoothing it on one side of the cake. Use a knife to trim off any excess fondant. Further decorate according to your personal taste.
This cake is a lot of fun despite the time involved! Don’t forget to let us know your variant of the fondant cake. We are excited and await your cooking and baking ideas!
Visit the rest of the site for more useful and informative articles!