The pallet bed – step by step to your dream bed
Pallets have been around for many years and are mostly used in factories or grocery stores. They are useful materials for storage, packaging, and carrying, but recently they have become the most popular home improvement resource. In the past few years, recycled pallets have become the number one choice for anyone looking to build their furniture, and for good reason. Pallets are sturdy, have a rustic look and are easy to work with. A good argument in favor of sustainability and they look fantastic when the project is over.
You can build a pallet bed yourself at low cost.
What should you know about pallets before installing them?
One of the most popular pallet-based projects that people love at home is pallet beds. They are especially popular with students because they are inexpensive and stable.
We’ll show you how to build your own bed frame with pallets.
Pallet beds are especially popular with students.
How do you choose your pallets for the bed?
If you are looking to build a pallet bed, one of the most important things to do is choose your pallets. You don’t necessarily have to buy them, as pallets are often a recycled product and they are often simply given away. However, here are the most important things to keep in mind when choosing materials:
- When you receive recycled pallets, take a look at them and see if they look clean and have no markings.
- For example, if you see the letters MB on the pallet, avoid them because they were carrying dangerous chemicals and you don’t want the pallets in your house.
- When you get your hands on international pallets, look out for the IPPC logo. This means that they can be used safely.
Here you can find out what you should consider when choosing pallets for a pallet bed.
- Avoid colored palettes. While some colors are safe, you’ll want to avoid bringing pallets in the bedroom that have gone through unsafe fumigation / painting processes.
- Avoid pallets that show signs of moisture or wear and tear: the wood should not bend when pressed. Make sure the pallets look and feel dry and clean.
- Avoid pallets with slats that are too far apart, with broken or cracked slats, and with boards full of splinters.
- Before getting free pallets from construction sites or from retailers’ backyards, visit a few of these places to help choose the right pallets for you.
You should also be careful to sanitize wooden pallets that you take home.
How to choose the right pallet size
The right pallet size is less important as long as you have enough pallets to build your beautiful bed. North American pallets measure 40 “by 48”.
Two pallets for a single bed;
- Four wooden pallets for a double queen-size bed.
- After you’ve selected your pallets, it’s time to collect the materials and get to work!
Do you also have the courage to build such a beautiful pallet bed yourself?
Step by step instructions
- Sand the pallets well with the sanding tool – use protective equipment and make sure that all sides, edges and surfaces of the pallets are smooth and free of splinters.
- Wipe the pallets down to make sure you’ve removed any dust and splinters.
- Vacuum the floor and make sure there are no splinters or scraps of wood lying around to protect you, children, or pets.
- Bring the dry pallets to the room where you want your future bed to be. Cover the floor with plastic wrap that you can easily remove to protect the floor from scratches.
- Set the four pallets in a square shape. Secure the pallets with strong wood glue to ensure perfect alignment and stability, then secure the pallets in place.
- You can use the drill for holes. Fasten the pallets on all sides with angle irons, bolts, washers and nuts. If you are using hinges make sure you use at least 8 of these for a double queen bed frame (2 hinges for each of the four sides of the pallets). You can optionally use them with plumber’s screws
Turn the bed over, stand it up, remove the base plate and enjoy your new pallet bed frame!
In addition, you can use the space under the bed to place small LED lights for a romantic atmosphere or to use narrow baskets or boxes as bed drawers. There are also some plants that are ideal for pallet beds.
Pallets are a sustainable and recycled product.
They are an important resource for craftsmen.
Visit the rest of the site for more useful and informative articles!